Moroccan Stew with Chicken


I first had this dish at my sisters and immediately made a copy of her hand written recipe.
When I went home I thought the title sounded familiar and sure enough, I found the source.
I'd not been attracted to the recipe earlier as the spices seemed a bit too exotic for our taste.
But having tasted it, I was proven wrong. It is delicious.
I don't usually post other people's recipes but this was such a good one I wanted to share it.
I did make it my own by increasing the spices and adding chicken to make it "non-vegetarian" for my meat loving husband.
Credit for this recipe goes to Janet and Greta Podleski from their "Looneyspoons Collections".

serves 6
  •  2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
  • 1-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 a green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 a yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
In a large saute pan or fry pan, heat oil and add remaining ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables soften.  Add the following ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed to equal about 3 cups
  • 1 14 oz/398 ml can diced tomatoes
  • 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth*
  • 1 14oz/398 ml can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh or frozen ginger (see this ginger tip) Do not use powdered ginger
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon each, curry powder, coriander, chili powder and cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( I like to use the seasoned pepper such as Montreal steak spice)
Bring to a boil and then cover it, simmering the stew over low heat for about 20 minutes or until yams are soft but not mushy. Then add:
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken *
  • 1/2 cup Thompson raisins (the black ones)
  • 2-4 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
  • 2 tablespoons chopped Parsley or Cilantro
Stir together and simmer for another 5 -7 minutes.  Top with additional chopped Parsley or Cilantro and serve in pasta bowls.
* To make this vegetarian, use vegetable broth and omit the chicken.
Share
 
Copyright © 2015 Food Republic Blog
Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Design By Herdiansyah Hamzah